Sunday, November 18, 2012

Glitch - by Heather Anastasiu


Synopsis:  In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.  When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.




Genre:  dystopian, science fiction, fantasy

Level:  intermediate

Pages:  336

Author's website

Author Interview



First 3 paragraphs:

I felt it coming this time.  I shoved my drawings into the hidden slit I'd made in the back of my mattress, then grabbed the metal bed frame to steady myself as my brain suddenly jolted back into connection with the link.
the retina display flickered into view and scrolled a chatter of date at the edges of my field of vision.  Auditory inputs clicked back online too, a slight hum in the background.  One by one, each of my senses dimmed, replacing my connection to the physical world with the connection to the Link.  In a blink, the small bit of color in my room seeped away to a monotone gray.  I inhaled deeply and tried to hold on to the smell of my small concrete quarters - antiseptic and dust - but they, too, were lost by my next breath.  Panic gripped my chest a I drowned in the Link's rising tide, but I concealed it behind my perfectly still mask.  I was lucky it happened while I was alone in here in my quarters, where I was safe.  I could use the practice.  I focused, carefully relaxing each of my facial muscles into perfect, expressionless stillness, betraying nothing of the turmoil inside.
I'd glitched for a little over an hour.  Precious silence in my head.  Sometimes I could fight the creeping dullness of the Link, but I didn't have any time to waste this morning.  The glithcing woke me an hour before my internal Link alarm, but if I didn't get moving, I'd be late.

Read more - click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment